HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Well it’s been a while, call it the post Christmas doldrums and the rather gloomy wet weather here in West Cumbria. I am up and running now with all my good intentions and plans for the New Year. My taste buds need a little livening and this salmon recipe is just the job. Nice and light and very zesty and so quick to prepare you will be astonished – if you get a wriggle on you could have it prepared and in the oven in 10 minutes and on your plate in 20 minutes and have lots of time left for all those other intentions…
ZINGY CRUSTED SALMON WITH LIME AND GINGER
2 fresh salmon fillets
A little olive oil
2 fresh limes
5 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs*
2/3 rings of red onion, peeled and finely chopped
Small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp of fresh parsley or fresh coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Knob of butter
1. Check the salmon for pin bones and remove if necessary.
2. Lay the fillets in an oven proof dish and drizzle over a little olive oil-make sure that the fillets won’t stick on the bottom.
3. Grate the zest of both limes and then juice them. Mix with the fresh breadcrumbs.
4. Add the finely chopped red onion, fresh ginger and add the tablespoon of either chopped fresh parsley or fresh coriander.
5. Season well and mix together.
6. Pile the crumb mixture on top of each fillet.
7. Bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes until the fish is cooked (should be pink and opaque) and the top crispy. Add a knob of butter at the last minute. Serve asap with the juices and butter poured over the top.
When you have a couple of bread crusts or leftover sliced bread keep them in the freezer to make bread crumbs at a later date. Fresh breadcrumbs keep very well in the freezer-just use the food processor to blitz them and pack into a plastic box or bag for storage. They defrost very easily so you can take out what you want and then refreeze the rest.