Here is a homemade treat for you to make on Mother’s day (or on any other day if you wish)-Blueberry and Oat muffins. I can imagine these served on a breakfast tray or with brunch, afternoon tea or just as an in betweeny sort of light snack .
I have never been a fan of of the bought sort of muffins, cloyingly sweet and hugely ‘puffed up’ with raising agents..the bigger the better to attract the customer and make maximum profits and this has always put me off making them. I’m glad that I overcame my misgivings and had a go- these muffins are delicious! The blueberries burst in the heat of the oven making them moist and fruity and the oats add a healthy sort of bite and texture and they are not too sweet.
Both oats and blueberries are regarded as ‘superfoods’ what more can I say-super foods for a super mum because, of course, we’re worth it.
BLUEBERRY AND OAT BREAKFAST MUFFINS
180g self-raising flour
1 teasp baking powder
40g rolled oats
120g caster sugar
1 lge egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to a hot 200C/Gas 6. Set our muffin paper cases in a muffin tin (these are deeper than the ordinary bun trays) or grease them well if you prefer not to use the paper cups.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the oats and sugar and stir together. Add the blueberries and stir to coat these in the mixture.
3. In a small bowl beat the egg well, add the milk and the oil and combine.
4. Add the liquids to the flour mix and quickly stir together-don’t over mix the batter should be lumpy and there will still be some flour that is not mixed in.
5. Immediately fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 minutes
Alternatives- add chocolate chips, omit oats and increase the flour to 220g, add grated lemon and a tbsp of lemon curd to the liquid mixture, dried fruit or nuts etc.