False modesty has never been my strong point so I can say, hand on heart, that this is really the best ever chunky guacamole ever! I’m a bit of a nibbler and dipper and would happily forgo any ‘proper’ meals for a life of nibbling and dipping. This guacamole is one of my favourites with a homemade hummus coming a very close second (recipe to come), perfect for sharing with friends (as long as they are not too hungry and leave me with none ) and for casual eating.The only slight problem is the general state of avocados available to buy-they tend to be rock hard so you need to plan ahead, buy them hard and leave them to ripen on a sunny window sill. I suppose I can see the supermarket’s dilemma (although I am not generally sympathetic to them) the problem is that you wait and wait for them to ripen and then they do and very quickly go over and spoil, blacken and strangely fibrous inside.
Here is my recipe for…
THE BEST EVER CHUNKY GUACAMOLE DIP
Serves 4 with tortilla chips
3 large, ripe tomatoes
3 large, ripe avocados
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli finely chopped
Large handful fresh coriander-roughly chopped (use the stalks as well as the leaves)
2 large limes (add more if you like it sharper)
- Cut up the tomatoes very small and put into a large bowl.
- Cut open the avocados, remove the large stone* and scoop out the flesh. Add to the bowl and then mash it up a little –I used a potato masher, but leave some chunky bits as well.
- Add the red onion, fresh chilli and chopped, fresh coriander.
- Finely grate the zest of the limes into the bowl then juice them and add the juice as well.
- Mix together and serve with tortilla chips to scoop it up.
*The avocado doesn’t keep its colour well and begins to brown quite quickly although the lime juice helps this. You can put the whole stone in with the finished guacamole and this helps a little. Best advice is to eat as soon as possible!